Out of Focus - the diary of a student radiographer.

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Oh, what a night

11pm
When I was at school, I had no idea what I wanted to do when I grew up. Now, nearly 15 years later, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

As I sit here, writing this blog on my Palm in the office on the labour ward, working a night shift where we haven't any patients, sorry, customers, feeling bored and trying not to fall asleep, I am giving this issue some thought.

I've only been working as a healthcare assistant for about a year and only been doing shift work for 6 months. Night shifts are one of the reasons I'm not likely to stay doing this much longer.

I really hate night shifts. I only have to do 2 of them a month but I still dread them coming round. They are so long. I'm here at the hospital 11 hours on a night - 10 hours working and 1 hour break. And all at a time when my body keeps telling me it wants to sleep. I don't feel terribly with it either - it's a good job I don't have to make any life-or-death desicions.

3am
Oh, god. 4 hours still to go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home