Out of Focus - the diary of a student radiographer.

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Sometimes I really hate computers II

Adam builds his own PCs and I get the hand-me-downs for mine, hence the reason I have 2 hard drives in my PC - a 3GB one and a 2GB one. The 3GB gets used for software, the 2GB for data. When Adam bought the 3GB drive it cost somewhere in the region of £170 and was almost the best hard drive you can buy. Nowadays I suspect 3GB drives usually end up in the bin.

The 3GB drive was more than adequate for the job when my PC ran Windows 98. Now its running Windows XP and a modest amount of other software and its creaking at the seams. It won't be long before I have to give up and get Adam to replace the hard drive with one of more adequate proportions but I'm resisting as installing Windows is officially the most boring thing in the world and its also very annoying and time consuming.

My Mum has recently joined the information age - my Dad bought her a laptop on account of her having recently celebrated her 60th birthday. This sounds like my Dad knows enough about computers to purchase a suitable laptop which couldn't be further from the truth - he can't even program the video. Adam did the actual acquiring of said laptop. The weekend after her birthday I gave her a basic lesson on using it - turning it on, dialing up, checking e-mail, using Google, that sort of thing - while she made notes. As couple of days later she phoned me, having failed to connect to the internet (turns out she had not written down a vital step) but now just wanted to turn the laptop off. The conversation went something like this:

Mum: "I can't click on 'disconnect' as its not there."
Me: "What does it say under 'Dial Up?" I said.
Mum: "Disconnected."
Me: "That's OK, you just need to select 'Turn off' now."
Mum: "But don't I need to click on 'disconnect'?"
Me: "Aaagh - you don't need to disconnect as you aren't connected!"
Mum: "Eh?"

I have had jobs on an IT helpdesk and as an IT trainer but this hadn't prepared me for teaching my Mum how to use a computer. I think my Mum is going to be the User From Hell. Actually, that isn't fair, as my Dad hasn't tried to use the laptop yet. If he does, I may well leave the country.

I went out and bought my Mum 'The Internet for the Older Generation' - I hope she won't be offended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home