Out of Focus - the diary of a student radiographer.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Sometimes I really hate computers

Its our 3rd wedding anniversary today. I got Adam a hard cover for his new PDA and a leather cover for his new mobile phone (I'm trying not to feel too jealous of the new toys). Adam got me a copy of Fugawi - software intended to make our geocaching experience better as I wouldn't have to print off OS maps from streetmap.co.uk any more - and some flowers and chocolates.

I have spent the best part of today trying to make the damned software work properly. More precisely, make the interface between the damned application on the PC and the damned application on the Palm handheld work. I, in my naivety, thought it was going to be a simple matter to bung a nice large map, the size of Kent preferably, straight into the memory card in my Palm which has lots of nice, unused space, just waiting to receive a wonderfully detailed electronic OS map.

After a lot of head scratching, I turned to the geocaching.com forums for advice only to find my PC has killed the new USB hub Adam just bought to replace the one my PC killed last week. Cue scrabbling around on the floor to plug the wireless LAN card into the USB port on the back of the PC.

Anyway, I turned to the geocaching.com forums for advice. After some advice was forthcoming, I think the map needs to be bunged on the Palm's internal memory before being transferred to the memory card. Which isn't very handy as the internal memory doesn't have lots of nice, unused space, just waiting to receive a wonderfully detailed electronic OS map.

I'm giving up for the day as I think I'm getting a headache, the chocolates are disappearing faster than chocolates really ought to and I'm feeling tempted to chuck my Palm out of the window, even though it isn't my Palm's fault. A major strategy rethink is needed. And this was supposed to be easier than printing off paper maps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home