Out of Focus - the diary of a student radiographer.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

First day! Hurrah!

I was a bit concerned last night the snow might make me miss my first day at uni, but I needn't have worried - not much fell. The day was OK - mostly 'welcome to the university' and admin stuff - but one thing was annoying. I won't be able to have my clinical placement at the hospital I worked at until recently, which is only 10 minutes walk away. You see, the campus I'm attending is new this academic year and the healthcare students are split between the 2 campuses. The new campus is closer to home which is partly why I chose it, but I also partly chose it as 'my' hospital was supposed to be one of the one used for placements by the new campus. Hope you are following so far. Today I found out they have more students at the old campus than the new one, so they needed to reallocate one of the hospitals to the old campus. Guess which one. Bah. Oh well, I haven't had to drive to work for 2 years so I guess I'm due a return to the world of commuting.

One of the other things on the menu today was uniforms. All the skinny girls went home with a carrier bag full of uniforms, I was told they'd have to make mine as they didn't have my size. The uniform lady insisted the ones in my size must have all been taken in the earlier session but I still felt a bit embarrassed.

I also got two free gifts today! A clear plastic square with an L on it and a clear plastic square with an R on it. 10 points to the first person to say what they are used for. I wonder if I can make them into earrings?

4 Comments:

  • Yay - 10 points to MMM. Nearly all x-rays need to be labelled to identify which side is which. It's very easy to look at an x-ray from the wrong side and the patient ends up having the wrong kidney removed or something. I doubt if the letter are lead but they are certainly radiopaque. See, I already know some terminology!

    By Blogger Lisa & Adam, at 3:46 pm  

  • I thought they used felt pens for left and right. And "radiopaque"? Is that in the OED?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 pm  

  • Ooh yes, my Mum still has her little L and R thingies, but hers are made of metal and the L and R are punched out of them. They're very much like the clips you use to hold a tablecloth onto an outside table in order to stop it flying away during the British summer, and so that's what she uses them for now. My brother always got to sit at near the L because he's a lefty, and I always had the R because I'm a righty.

    By Blogger car01, at 8:03 pm  

  • Apparently the metal clippy things were too expensive for the uni to buy for us.

    Andy - lets see...well it's sort of in the compact OED. http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/angiography?view=uk

    By Blogger Lisa & Adam, at 10:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home