Out of Focus - the diary of a student radiographer.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Crash

I witnessed my second ever crash call yesterday. I had seen one in the first few months of my HCA job, this was the first since I became a student.

An elderly gentleman was getting up off the table after a barium enema and passed out. The call was made and within minutes about 20 doctors appeared from various directions. When something like this happens, you learn very quickly where various emergency supplies are kept in the department.

It's a pity I had to leave while it was still going on as I had to catch the intersite bus for a meeting with my mentor. By the time I left the docs were giving him IV fluids and monitoring his blood pressure and everyone seemed a lot calmer so I guess they got him stablised. The first thing I did when I got in this morning was ask after him - he was sent down to A&E and apparently was suffering from vasovagal syncope, nothing serious fortunately.

2 Comments:

  • I was wondering. If he was unconscious, what happened to the barium? I wouldnt like to get rid of that once it set like concrete.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 am  

  • It's OK - it wasn't that much barium. The barium is drained in, then most of it is drained out again so that it only coats the walls. You get better detail on the images that way.

    Although I was asked to fetch some inco pads (large, flat absorbant sheets) so I guess some barium made a reappearance!

    By Blogger Lisa & Adam, at 1:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home