Out of Focus - the diary of a student radiographer.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Skools out!

I've had an interesting week so far. On Monday I had a lecture called "The Nature of Matter" which was basic O level chemistry stuff and it was a breeze. I also had a lecture called "Cells and Tissues" which went straight over my head as I haven't done any biology since I was 13, before I made my O level choices. Further study required here. I also looked around the x-ray lab and had to listen to the tutor moan (good naturedly) about them not letting him have the dark room without the window - as it would have "spoilt the look of the building". Fear not, they got a blackout screen and it fits now.

On Tuesday was another IT session and I found out we have to take 4 modules of the ECDL. I have looked at the sample tests and this is also going to be a breeze. I had a go at the quizzes on the third-party EDCL training system the uni uses and they are driving me bonkers. As you know, there are several ways of doing many things in Windows applications but this software is a Windows simulation and it only recognises one way of doing each thing. Usually that one way is not they way I do it. I hope the tests don't use this simulator.

Today was a day off study day. I left home at 7.30am to do a spot of voluntary work in town, about 1 mile away. There was no snow. By the time I left, it had been chucking it down with snow for about 4 hours solid. It took 2 hours to get home through the traffic and by the time I got home I was a nervous wreck as I was convinced I was going to crash the car. The nice folks in the chat room suggested tea and sweet things and calming music which did the trick.

I have just checked Blackboard, the uni information system, and all lectures are cancelled tomorrow. I'm glad, as don't think I could have made it there anyway, unless there is a mass thaw overnight which is unlikely. I suppose I better be a good student and spend tomorrow reading up on cells.

3 Comments:

  • Hurrah for the day off.
    ECDL is a piece of cake. They gave me one, so it must be. You do get a nice credit card sized thingy and a sustificate

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:25 pm  

  • And make sure you take the training modules/sample papers first. Some of the questions can get you stuck and ruin the rest of the paper

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:26 pm  

  • Cheers Andy. I've already started on the sample tests. I've found out I don't really know all the finer points of formatting in word as I was self-taught (on Word 2, I think).

    The sample test also insisted a CD-ROM isn't an input device, which is debatable.

    By Blogger Lisa & Adam, at 9:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home