Out of Focus - the diary of a student radiographer.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Psychowotsits

At the moment, 2 out of 3 of the modules I'm studying are in IPL (Interprofessional Learning) groups - which means groups made out of a few of the radiography students, a few nursing students and a few occupational therapy students. Personally, I'm not much enamoured with the IPL modules as they seem far less relevant to us rad students than anyone else. Yesterday we had a lecture on record keeping - barely relevant as the only record keeping radiographers do is on the computer - filling in what exposures levels we used, and marking the examinations as completed. We don't write reams about patient observations that the other professions do. Today we had a totally mind-numbing lecture on Attribution Theory and Health Locus of Control - all of which to my mind just meant that some things are the fault of the patient and some aren't. Zzzzzz.

All of this confirms I was right to go into radiography, and not nursing which was my original plan way back when. I'm a scientist at heart and I can't deal with all this psychobabble. A lot of the nurses were complaining they were having trouble with essay one - "A report on the process and outcomes of a search for information on a topic of professional practice", whereas they were having much less trouble with essay two, which is all about psychobabble, sorry, psychosocial stuff. I, in contrast, found essay one fairly easy - well it was a lot of work but I understood what was needed.

I still don't have much of a clue what I'm supposed to do for essay two - for example, 1000 words of this essay have to be about one aspect of the dynamics of my IPL group. Well, everyone was friendly, we all got on well, there were no conflicts and everyone did their bit. So once I have written that everyone was friendly, we all got on well, there were no conflicts and everyone did their bit - where are the other 983 words going to come from?

1 Comments:

  • You'll have to take every one of those 17 words an expand on them. What is the meaning of "and"? 1000 words is only 3 sides. You can do it. Sympathy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home